Giving gifts can be difficult sometimes, maybe because I really think about it long and hard. I don’t want to give a gift just for the sake of giving. I want it to be something that the recipient will truly appreciate and love – a braided crib bumper for new parents!
My friend recently had a baby and during her baby shower, she received a lot of gifts – the usual. To celebrate, I wanted to give her something more special.
So off I went to research unique baby stuff and I came across a DIY project for a braided crib bumper. I fell in love at first sight. Not only is it super useful, but I can also personalize the colours, too.
- 1 How to make a DIY Braided Crib Bumper?
- 1.1 Materials
- 1.2 Tools
- 1.3 Step-by-Step Instructions
- 1.4 Braided Crib Bumper Design Ideas
- 2 Conclusion
How to make a DIY Braided Crib Bumper?
I made several braided crib bumpers so she’d have something to use while the others were being washed. If you’re looking for a practical, inexpensive, yet really useful gift, I’d recommend you make this one. It’s so easy!
Here are the tools and materials that you will need to create a DIY Braided Crib Bumper:
- An optimal selection for a crib fabric would be one that offers both softness and longevity, with a minimum width of 45 inches and a length of 2-3 yards depending on the crib dimensions.
- Poly filling
- You will need enough poly filling to stuff the braided fabric strips and make the bumper soft and cushiony.
- Select a thread that corresponds with the hue of the fabric and utilize it to sew the terminations of the interlaced strips in unison.
- Use a pair of sharp fabric scissors to cut the fabric into strips.
- Sewing machine
- Utilizing a sewing machine can speed up and efficiently complete the task of sewing strips together. Nevertheless, in the absence of a sewing machine, manual sewing of the strips remains a viable option.
- Use pins to hold the strips together as you braid them.
- Tape measure
- To accurately determine the appropriate dimensions of both the crib and fabric strips, use a tape measure.
- Use a needle to hand-sew any finishing touches, such as decorative elements like ribbons or bows.
By using these tools and materials, you can create a beautiful and personalized DIY braided crib bumper that makes a thoughtful and unique gift for new parents.
Creating your own braided crib bumper allows the freedom to select desired colours and patterns. You can personalize it to match the nursery decor or the parents’ preferences. It’s a great way to show that you put a lot of thought and effort into the gift.
In addition, a DIY braided crib bumper is easy to make, even for those who are not experienced in sewing. You can easily find these materials at any craft store or online.
Choose the Fabric
When selecting the fabric, it’s important to consider the overall aesthetic of the nursery as well as the parents’ preferences.
A Fabric that Matches the Overall Decor
You can even choose a fabric that matches the bedding or curtains to create a cohesive look. Choose a fabric that you adore for the bumper.
Considering the amount of time you will spend in the nursery, it is important to ensure that the sight of the bumper pleases you. Choose a fabric that complements the nursery’s decor or the parents’ preferences.
Ensure the fabric is of sufficient length to braid a bumper that fits around the entire crib. Measure the crib rails and add extra length for a secure fit of the bumper. Consider the bumper’s firm attachment to the crib, avoiding excessive looseness or tightness. Regarding the fabric’s hue, there are numerous choices available.
Opt for a single colour for a classic and simple braided crib bumper, or choose multiple colours for a personalised and original touch. Unsure of which colour to select? Take into account the colour scheme of the remaining elements in the nursery or draw inspiration from the parents’ personal style.
Type of Fabric
When choosing the fabric for your crib bumper, the possibilities are infinite. Whether you opt for a plush and comforting fleece or a contemporary and stylish cotton, ensure that it matches your preferences in terms of size and hue.
Choosing the right fabric for your baby’s crib bumper can be both fun and exciting! There are countless options to personalize your nursery decor, ranging from soft pastel colours to bold patterns.
Mix and Match
Be bold and experiment with different hues and designs to craft a distinctive and aesthetically pleasing crib bumper that will elevate the appearance of your child’s crib. Utilize your ingenuity and inventiveness to produce a superb and practical crib bumper that ensures your infant’s security and comfort.
Cut the fabric
After choosing your fabric, the next phase of creating a DIY braided crib bumper involves cutting it into three long strips. Each strip should measure about 10-12 inches in width and 2-3 yards in length, depending on the crib’s size and the preferred thickness of the bumper.
To achieve an even and symmetrical bumper, it’s crucial to ensure that all three strips are of equal length. A ruler or measuring tape can help in achieving precision while cutting the fabric.
After cutting the strips, fold them lengthwise and sew them completely to form a tube shape. This will facilitate the braiding process and secure the stuffing.
When stitching the strips, it’s important to use a strong and durable thread capable of enduring the weight and pressure of the poly-filling. You can utilise a sewing machine or manually sew, depending on your preferred way of sewing.
Add the Poly-Filling
Once you have sewn the three long strips of fabric into tube-like shapes, the next step in making a DIY braided crib bumper is to stuff them with poly-filling. The poly-filling will give the bumper its cushiony and soft texture, making it comfortable and safe for the baby.
To stuff the fabric with poly-filling, start by placing a small amount of filling at the end of one of the tube-like strips. Push the filling into the fabric using your fingers or a tool, ensuring it is evenly distributed along the length of the strip.
Stuff the filling continuously through the strip until you reach the opposite edge, then repeat the same procedure with the other two fabric strips. It’s important to pack the filling tightly to ensure that the bumper is firm and supportive.
Braid the Strips
Once all three strips are stuffed, you can begin braiding them together to form the bumper. As you braid, continue to stuff the filling inside to create a consistent and uniform shape.
When braiding the strips, make sure to keep the edges aligned and the tension even to prevent the bumper from becoming lumpy or misshapen.
Sew the End Together
After completing the strips, stitch them together firmly to form a loop using your preferred sewing method, whether it be by hand or machine. Ensure the bumper remains intact by sewing the ends together firmly.
Add Finishing Touches
Adding decorative elements to your DIY braided crib bumper is a great way to personalize it and make it even more special. Ribbons or bows are a popular choice for adding a touch of cuteness and charm. You can choose ribbons or bows that match the fabric you used for the bumper, or go for a contrasting colour for a more eye-catching look.
Braided Crib Bumper Design Ideas
When making a DIY braided crib bumper, add personalized and distinctive elements to enhance its uniqueness.
- Colorful Stripes
- Create striped patterns on your bumper with various fabric colors to match the nursery’s color scheme.
- Ombré Effect
- A design concept is to utilise varying tones of a single hue to produce an ombré outcome. This method is a fantastic approach to incorporate depth and dimension to the bumper.
- Patterned Fabric
- To add visual interest to your bumper, consider using patterned fabric such as polka dots, stripes or florals.
- Personalized Embroidery
- Personalize your bumper further with embroidered details, such as the baby’s name, initials, or a heartfelt message.
- Ruffles and Lace
- To achieve a feminine and romantic aesthetic, consider incorporating ruffles and lace along the edges of the bumper. This is an excellent choice for parents expecting a baby girl.
These are just a few design ideas to get you started. The possibilities are endless when it comes to creating a DIY braided crib bumper that is both beautiful and functional.
There you have it – a simple and easy DIY braided crib bumper that makes a thoughtful and unique gift for new parents. By following these steps and using the right tools and materials, you can create a beautiful and personalized crib bumper that will be cherished for years to come.
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
Watch this video so you can start making these adorable braided crib bumpers!