Is it winter in your part of the world now? If you’re experiencing the winter season, you are probably looking for cozy ways to stay warm while relaxing at home. A fun and practical option to consider is a DIY mermaid tail blanket. Not only will it keep your legs warm, but it also adds a decorative touch to your living space.
Crocheted mermaid tail blankets are a modern option to consider for your bedding needs. These blankets boast a soft and cozy texture that can effectively keep you feeling comfortable. Not only do they provide ample warmth, but they also make for excellent companions while indulging in your favourite leisure activities like reading or watching TV on the sofa.
The unique design of the blanket is crafted to keep your legs cozy without the need for additional bedding. Additionally, the crocheted mermaid tail blanket boasts an exclusive design and style that can elevate the aesthetic appeal of any living space.
Crocheting a mermaid tail blanket can be a fun project. It is a great way to challenge your skills and create a cozy and unique blanket. Fortunately, the steps to create one are simple. You can easily make a cozy and unique blanket that resembles a mermaid’s tail, also with some basic materials and techniques.
For someone experienced with crocheting, it is possible to create a mermaid tail in just four days. But, even if you have not tried crocheting before, you can take your time to learn and create your mermaid tail blanket.
If you are still looking for gift ideas for your friends or family, you can consider making DIY gifts, such as mermaid tail blankets. It’s one idea that’s sure to be a hit, especially with kids!
Our DIY mermaid tail blankets album is a treasure trove of inspiration for those who are looking to make their own cozy and whimsical blankets. Featuring a range of styles and designs, this collection is bound to spark your creativity and help you create your own beautiful mermaid tail blankets.
Whether you’re a seasoned crafter or a beginner, our tutorial provides step-by-step instructions to guide you through the process of making mermaid tail blankets. With the link to the tutorial conveniently provided below, you can easily access all the information you need to get started on your mermaid tail blanket project today! :)
Crochet Beautiful Mermaid Tail Blankets in 4 Simple Steps
DIY mermaid tail blankets are often made with soft, colourful yarns and embellished with sequins, beads, or other decorations. The process of creating a DIY mermaid tail blanket involves several simple steps. The requisite materials and implements for the task at hand are remarkably uncomplicated and can be easily obtained.
- Red Heart Super Saver Medium (worsted) Weight Yarn
- Size Small: 2 skeins Macaw, 1 skein Jade, and 1 skein Peacock (Peacock comes in Red Heart With Love)
- Size Medium: 3 skeins Macaw, 2 skeins Jade, and 2 skeins Peacock (Peacock comes in Red Heart With Love)
- Size Large: 4 skeins Macaw, 3 skeins Jade, and 3 skeins Peacock (Peacock comes in Red Heart With Love)
- Optional: decorations
- Size J-6.00mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
1. Make the tail fin
- Using the Macaw yarn, make a slip knot and chain 31.
- Single crochet in the second chain from the hook and in each chain across (30 stitches).
- Chain one and turn. Single crochet in each stitch across for 12 rows.
- Change to Jade yarn and single crochet in each stitch across for 4 rows.
- Change to Peacock yarn and single crochet in each stitch across for 4 rows.
- Change back to Jade yarn and single crochet in each stitch across for 4 rows.
- Change back to Macaw yarn and single crochet in each stitch across for 4 rows.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
2. Make the body of the blanket
- Using the Macaw yarn, make a slip knot and chain 45.
- Single crochet in the second chain from hook and in each chain across (44 stitches).
- Chain one and turn. Single crochet in each stitch across 60 rows.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
3. Attach the tail fin to the body
- Fold the body of the blanket in half lengthwise, with the wrong side facing out.
- Pin the tail fin to the bottom of the blanket, aligning the edges and making sure the tail fin is centred.
- Using the Macaw yarn and a yarn needle, sew the tail fin to the body of the blanket along the sides and bottom, leaving the top open.
4: Finishing touches
- Turn the blanket right side out and weave in any remaining ends.
- Optional: Add embellishments such as sequins, beads, or crocheted flowers to the tail fin.
Your mermaid tail blanket is now complete!
5 Tricks for Making Crocheted Beautiful Mermaid Tail Blankets
Crocheting a mermaid tail blanket can be a fun and creative project. It can be a little complicated for first-timers. But, there are tricks that can help ensure beautiful crochet mermaid tail blankets are created:
- Plan your design. Before you start crocheting, plan out the design of your mermaid tail blanket. Consider the colours you want to use, any stitch patterns or design elements you want to include, and the size of the blanket. This will help you create a cohesive and well-designed blanket. An extensive array of creative designs are available for crafting stunning mermaid tail blankets.
- Keep your stitches consistent. Consistent stitch tension is important for creating a uniform look in your mermaid tail blanket. Make sure you are using the correct hook size and keep your tension consistent throughout the project.
- Use high-quality yarn. Choosing high-quality yarn can make a big difference in the appearance and durability of your mermaid tail blanket. Look for yarn that is soft, durable, and easy to work with. Consider using natural fibres like cotton or wool for a more luxurious feel.
- Take breaks and stretch. Crocheting for extended periods can cause strain on your hands, wrists, and neck. Take frequent breaks to stretch and rest your hands. You can also do hand exercises or use ergonomic hooks to reduce the strain on your hands and wrists.
- Use a stitch counter. Keeping track of your stitches can be challenging, especially if you’re working on a large project like a mermaid tail blanket. Use a stitch counter or row counter to keep track of your progress and avoid mistakes. This can save you time and frustration in the long run.
Following these five tips can help you crochet a beautiful and functional mermaid tail blanket. Planning your design and using a stitch counter can help you stay organized and prevent mistakes. Choosing the right yarn and practising proper tension can ensure that your blanket looks and feels great. Taking breaks and stretching can help prevent hand and wrist strain, which can be common when working on a large project like a mermaid tail blanket.
So, that’s it! Enjoy your DIY mermaid tail blankets!
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox.
Thanks to Yarnutopia for this great project. You can get step-by-step instructions here…