Bathrooms and showers are not places for wall-to-wall carpeting, but a good-sized bath mat is essential for these spaces!
Sure, these may seem like a piece of fabric to put your wet feet on but they’re much more than that. They can change the look and feel of your bathroom. They can also keep you safe.
The biggest benefit to having one is that it prevents slips and falls. Not every shower will be that slippery, but there’s always the possibility of an accident.
Make Your Own Soft and Super-Absorbent DIY Bath Mat From Old Towels
A good mat will not only give your feet some grip, but it will also make you feel at ease knowing that you’re safe.
Do you need a good-looking, plush bath mat for your bathroom? Why buy from the store when you can make your own rug using old towels!
It’s easy, money-saving, and a great idea for making good use of your old and ugly towels – even the ones with little holes and tears in them!
Once you get into the rhythm of this project, you’ll find that it’s a really enjoyable activity to do. And the next thing you know, you’re done with your DIY project and looking for the next! In fact, why not keep going and make a couple more unique, hand-crafted gifts. After all, everyone uses bathmats!
Comfortable, super-absorbent, good-looking, colourful, and unique – it’s just the perfect bath mat to add to your bathroom!
You’ll need the following tools and materials to make a soft and super-absorbent bath mat from old towels.
- 3-4 Towels
- Cutting Mat
- Rotary Cutter
How to make your own soft and super-absorbent bath mat from old towels
Need one (or two)? Head over to the tutorial linked below to learn how to make it! You’ll also find other versions of hand-crafted towel bath mats in our gallery below.
1. Use a cutting mat and rotary cutter to cut the bath towels into strips (3 inches wide).
2. Arrange three strips in a row. If necessary, cut off the towels’ borders. Sew together with pins. It is time to remove the pin.
3. One strip should be folded in half by folding the sides toward the centre. Repeat along the entire strip to secure. With the remaining two strips, repeat the process.
4. As you braid, remove the pins as you go. You will need to sew on more strips after reaching the end. Stitch the end to fasten. Don’t worry if it looks a little messy at first – you can always go back and neaten it up later.
5. Using the braided rope, coil it into a tight coil. Once you have a nice tight coil, use a needle and thread to sew the coils together. This will give you a nice, firm mat to use for your bathroom area. And once you’re done, you’ll have a beautiful, unique bath mat that you will not see in any department stores!
You can get the full step-by-step instructions over here…
Below are a few other versions of a DIY towel bath mat that you can choose from.
Cute DIY bath mat designs from old towels
Click on any image to start the lightbox display. Use your Esc key to close the lightbox. ?
1. Braided Towel Rug
2. Towel Rag Rug
3. Old Towel Bath Mat
4. Terry Cloth Towel Mat
If you liked this project, you might also like to view Sew Your Own Baby Changing Mat…